LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
15277592

During a hearing on april 11, 2016 the judge ruled that my

Customer Question

during a hearing on april 11, 2016 the judge ruled that my ex wife has to pay me child support through the court system effective May 2016. My attorney has not prepared and filed the final order yet . Is she still obligated to pay? or can she wait till the final order is filed
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 months ago.
Good afternoon,I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. The pronouncement by the court does not take legal effect until the order is signed by the judge and filed in the court clerk's office. That means that your ex doesn't have to begin paying support until the order is signed and filed. Though if the judge ordered support to begin in May, if the order is filed late, it will be effective retroactively and you will be entitled to be paid for May. You might also want to suggest to your attorney that they are acting negligently if they are not timely preparing and filing the final order. You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.I wish you and yours the best in 2016,Doug
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 months ago.
This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.If I have already provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?Thanks in advance,Doug