Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

> got into a divorce. Court date is in 2 weeks. My

Customer Question

> got into a nasty divorce. Court date is in 2 weeks. My lawyer demand $20000 or he will not going to court with me? Please help
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. I am sorry to hear about this situation, A. What exactly can I answer for your in regards ***** ***** divorce?
Expert:  Ely replied 6 months ago.
Hello! Just touching base to see if you still needed an answer and if you could reply to my query. Thanks!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Just a simple divorce that prolong for 3 years. I have paid him $30000. Now i have lost my job. He wants another. $20000 or knot gonna represent me in court which is next week
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What am i gonna do in court next week?
Expert:  Ely replied 6 months ago.
My apologies for the wait.
Well... "What am I going to do in court" is a very open-ended question. I am not sure how to answer that. Is there any way you can be more specific. For example:
-how is community property divided?
-can I request a continuance to get another attorney?
-can I talk to the other attorney myself?
-what happens in a divorce trial proceeding?
Etc.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What happen in a court trial proceding? Can i just go without a lawyer?
Expert:  Ely replied 6 months ago.
My apologies for the wait. When you had responded, I was already offline.
You can go without an attorney, but this is not recommended. See the following two links for very good information:
http://www.kitsapgov.com/sc/pdf/Self_Rep_Tips_11-13-09.pdf
http://www.texascourthelp.org/civil/representing-yourself-in-court.aspx
In trial, both parties put on their case about division of assets, alimony (if any), child support (if any), and custody (if any). Then the Court decides.
Expert:  Ely replied 6 months ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!