Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I want to file dissolution. We were married almost

Customer Question

I want to file for Summary dissolution. We were married almost 5 years ago and have been separated for the last almost 2 years. We do not have children together and nothing to split up. We just want to be legal divorced
JA: OK. The Family Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Family Lawyer should know?
Customer: I don't know where he is. I know he hasnt left the state but i have had no contact with him since we moved out.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Family Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Steven K. replied 6 months ago.
A Summary Dissolution is a joint proceeding, which means that you cannot do it unless you find your spouse and your spouse is willing to cooperate with the process. If you want to proceed with a regular dissolution, you still have to serve your spouse, but there are ways to do so without being able to find your spouse. You may be able to serve by publication, or if you find him but can't get his cooperation, there are other ways to serve him. Have you exhausted all possibilities for locating him?