Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 plus years of experience.

My daughter's friend is asking to stay with us. She is afraid

Customer Question

My daughter's friend is asking to stay with us. She is afraid of her father being violent and afraid of her mother being emotionally abusive. She doesn't want to report any abuse. I have talked with her mother and offered our home as a place for the friend to stay. The friend wants to stay over tonight and I don't know what legal ramifications apply in Wisconsin if the teen decides to run away to my home
JA: The Family Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Family Lawyer can help you best. Is there anything else important you think the Family Lawyer should know?
Customer: The teen is 15 1/2 years old. Father has custody. Visits mother every other weekend.
JA: OK. The Family Lawyer will need to help you with this. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Family Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Loren replied 5 months ago.
Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.There are not really any ramifications on you unless you attempt to "hide" the child from her father. Then you could be guilty of kidnapping.As far as staying at your home for a night or two, you will not get in trouble. The worst that can happen is that her father reports her as a runaway and the police come to your house and take her away. It is not a crime to let your daughter have a sleepover.
Expert:  Loren replied 5 months ago.
If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (Excellent or Good) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.