Bill Fix
Bill Fix, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Attorney at Fix Law, PLLC

My x girlfriend and live together 11 years. I

Customer Question

my x girlfriend and live together for almost 11 years. I built us a home , move her and my daughter in after that she put me out for someone else. What is tx law concerning common law. I also put myself on child support because I knew how she is, I was right she took me to court and had it raised while having other babies from another man. My parents cannot even see there granddaughter because she will not let her. I do not even get my daughter on the days I am suppose to have her what can I do?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Bill Fix replied 5 months ago.
For you to be considered common law married, it takes more than just living together for an extended period of time. The couple has to "hold out as being married" which means you would have acted like a married couple in all ways, including introducing each other as your husband/wife. If she is now refusing you to have any custody/visitation with your daughter, you should take her to court. You said you don't get time "on the days I am supposed to have her"--what are your days? Is this an informal agreement between you two, or did the court set up a custody arrangement with a parenting plan? If you have an informal agreement that she is breaking, you need to get a formal one through a custody case. If a court has already ordered custody and she is violating it, you can file a contempt action against her.
Expert:  Bill Fix replied 5 months ago.
I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, please provide a rating. If not, please let me know so l can continue to help you. Thank you.