Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer
Experience:  18 years of litigation experience.
18321761

I have a friend whose dating an 17 year old guy she's 24 is

Customer Question

I have a friend whose dating an 17 year old guy she's 24 is that okay
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 6 months ago.
Hello, In what US state is this taking place? Is she in a position of authority over him, such as a teacher or coach?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No she's not we live in tx
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
So is it OK? We live in tx and she isn't his teacher or anything
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 6 months ago.
Sorry for the delay. I had to finish another question first. Dating is legal no matter what the ages are. It's only when sexual contact comes into play that one can risk arrest if one doesn't know the law. In Texas the age of sexual consent is 17. That means that a 17 year old can make his or her own decision about sex and is considered old enough to consent. In short, it is perfectly fine for a 17 and a 24 year old to date and even to have consensual sex. The 24 year old cannot get in trouble in Texas for that. Note however, that if the 24 year old takes the 17 year old outside of the state to have sex there, the Federal age of consent is 18.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
So its okay for us to be together
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 6 months ago.
Yes. In Texas. It would be perfectly legal there. You can't travel across state lines to have sex or leave the country.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He will be 18 in august and he's a senior this year. So 17 and 24 year olds can date in tx?
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 6 months ago.
Yes. They are perfectly legal in Texas. And once he's 18 they can travel as dates everywhere else as well.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Why do some people say its not okay for us to date?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Someone that works at the police department here where I live at told my mom that we were dating and she said it was an inappropriate relationship and I could go to jail but he's 17
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 6 months ago.
Would most parents of the 17 year old disapprove of such a relationship. I imagine so. It's a big age gap and a big experience gap between those two ages. However, it's not illegal. You can not get in trouble for having sex in Texas. WHat the adult couldn't do is give the minor alcohol, cigarettes, or drugs, of course or take him into places where he had to be 21. For that you could get in trouble. It just wouldn't be a sex offense.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have been worrying for absolutely no reason at all are you serious?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Why would they say that and they work at an police station? What?
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 6 months ago.
Because they don't approve of your relationship, that's why. Sec. 22.011. SEXUAL ASSAULT. (a) A person commits an offense if the person:(1) intentionally or knowingly:(A) causes the penetration of the anus or sexual organ of another person by any means, without that person's consent;(B) causes the penetration of the mouth of another person by the sexual organ of the actor, without that person's consent; or(C) causes the sexual organ of another person, without that person's consent, to contact or penetrate the mouth, anus, or sexual organ of another person, including the actor; or(2) intentionally or knowingly:(A) causes the penetration of the anus or sexual organ of a child by any means;(B) causes the penetration of the mouth of a child by the sexual organ of the actor;(C) causes the sexual organ of a child to contact or penetrate the mouth, anus, or sexual organ of another person, including the actor;(D) causes the anus of a child to contact the mouth, anus, or sexual organ of another person, including the actor; or(E) causes the mouth of a child to contact the anus or sexual organ of another person, including the actor.(b) A sexual assault under Subsection (a)(1) is without the consent of the other person if:(1) the actor compels the other person to submit or participate by the use of physical force or violence;(2) the actor compels the other person to submit or participate by threatening to use force or violence against the other person, and the other person believes that the actor has the present ability to execute the threat;(3) the other person has not consented and the actor knows the other person is unconscious or physically unable to resist;(4) the actor knows that as a result of mental disease or defect the other person is at the time of the sexual assault incapable either of appraising the nature of the act or of resisting it;(5) the other person has not consented and the actor knows the other person is unaware that the sexual assault is occurring;(6) the actor has intentionally impaired the other person's power to appraise or control the other person's conduct by administering any substance without the other person's knowledge;(7) the actor compels the other person to submit or participate by threatening to use force or violence against any person, and the other person believes that the actor has the ability to execute the threat;(8) the actor is a public servant who coerces the other person to submit or participate;(9) the actor is a mental health services provider or a health care services provider who causes the other person, who is a patient or former patient of the actor, to submit or participate by exploiting the other person's emotional dependency on the actor;(10) the actor is a clergyman who causes the other person to submit or participate by exploiting the other person's emotional dependency on the clergyman in the clergyman's professional character as spiritual adviser; or(11) the actor is an employee of a facility where the other person is a resident, unless the employee and resident are formally or informally married to each other under Chapter 2, Family Code.(c) In this section:(1) "Child" means a person younger than 17 years of age.(2) "Spouse" means a person who is legally married to another.(3) "Health care services provider" means:(A) a physic***** *****censed under Subtitle B, Title 3, Occupations Code;(B) a chiropractor licensed under Chapter 201, Occupations Code;(C) a physical therapist licensed under Chapter 453, Occupations Code;(D) a physician assistant licensed under Chapter 204, Occupations Code; or(E) a registered nurse, a vocational nurse, or an advanced practice nurse licensed under Chapter 301, Occupations Code.(4) "Mental health services provider" means an individual, licensed or unlicensed, who performs or purports to perform mental health services, including a:(A) licensed social worker as defined by Section 505.002, Occupations Code;(B) chemical dependency counselor as defined by Section 504.001, Occupations Code;(C) licensed professional counselor as defined by Section 503.002, Occupations Code;(D) licensed marriage and family therapist as defined by Section 502.002, Occupations Code;(E) member of the clergy;(F) psychologist offering psychological services as defined by Section 501.003, Occupations Code; or(G) special officer for mental health assignment certified under Section 1701.404, Occupations Code.(5) "Employee of a facility" means a person who is an employee of a facility defined by Section 250.001, Health and Safety Code, or any other person who provides services for a facility for compensation, including a contract laborer.(d) It is a defense to prosecution under Subsection (a)(2) that the conduct consisted of medical care for the child and did not include any contact between the anus or sexual organ of the child and the mouth, anus, or sexual organ of the actor or a third party.(e) It is an affirmative defense to prosecution under Subsection (a)(2):(1) that the actor was the spouse of the child at the time of the offense; or(2) that:(A) the actor was not more than three years older than the victim and at the time of the offense:(i) was not required under Chapter 62, Code of Criminal Procedure, to register for life as a sex offender; or(ii) was not a person who under Chapter 62, Code of Criminal Procedure, had a reportable conviction or adjudication for an offense under this section; and(B) the victim:(i) was a child of 14 years of age or older; and(ii) was not a person whom the actor was prohibited from marrying or purporting to marry or with whom the actor was prohibited from living under the appearance of being married under Section 25.01.(f) An offense under this section is a felony of the second degree, except that an offense under this section is a felony of the first degree if the victim was a person whom the actor was prohibited from marrying or purporting to marry or with whom the actor was prohibited from living under the appearance of being married under Section 25.01.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I guess they think he's younger idk. He's 17 though wtf lol. Every time I see cop cars I freak out. So freaking out for no reason I can calm down now thanks to you.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He's not 16 I promise you that but I am curious they wouldn't be able to arrest me unless they saw me doing something sexual with him right? Out of curiosity he's not I'm asking though he is 17
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 6 months ago.
You are legal in Texas. Period. End of story.Have a good night.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Your saying one thing and my friend called our police department and they told him the opposite of what you've told me
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 6 months ago.
Did you read the statute I sent you? You have nothing to worry about. If you'd rather believe the police. That's okay too. I'm sure it will make the 17 year old's parents very happy.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I thought police couldn't lie its against the law unless my friends lying to me because I called this morning they said it WAS okay
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 6 months ago.
The police can lie any time they want, except when they are on the stand. Then and only then do they have to tell the truth. In any case, it's your friends who are probably lying. I can't keep telling you the same thing. As long as he's 17 this is okay in Texas. I have even shown you the law as written. Google "What is the age of Sexual consent in Texas and you'll see it there too, over and over again. 17 is just fine.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes I see it now that 17 is the legal age of consent
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 6 months ago.
I'm glad I was finally able to verify it to your satisfaction. Please rate my service before leaving the site, as this is the only way I get credit for my work. Good luck!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
If he's 17 what if the parents press charges against me? Then what? I don't want to be in legal trouble
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 6 months ago.
There are no charges the parents can charge you with. All they can do is what parents always do when they don't approve of who their kid is dating: they can ground him and take away his privileges. Good luck to you both.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
So I cannot get arrested parents cannot do anything about it besides ground him or whatever. Again won't go to jail for this even if people tell cops I still wouldn't get in trouble?
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 6 months ago.
This now makes an even dozen times I have told you that you can not get arrested because this is not illegal. If you ask two dozen more times, you'll get the same answer. You are NEVER going to get a different answer than what I have already proven to you is the truth. So best of luck to you both.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Basically my friend was lying when he said he talked to a cop in plano tx and said that he had to be 18
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 6 months ago.
See above
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
At least tell me if my friends lying
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 6 months ago.
Yes, he's lying.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Even if we decide to have sex still okay
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 6 months ago.
Yes.