How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 30264
Experience:  30 plus years of experience.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If a man gives up his parental rights, can he change his mind

Customer Question

If a man gives up his parental rights, can he change his mind after 3 years?
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Loren replied 9 months ago.
Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to answering your question.As a general rule, once parental rights are terminated voluntarily, a court will not reverse the order. I suppose he can petition the court, but I have never heard of parental rights being reinstated after a voluntary termination. It is not something the court would likely see as being in the best interest of the child from a stability perspective.Also, be aware that courts are not, generally, easy about voluntary termination of parental rights, especially if it is done solely or mainly to avoid support payments.

Related Family Law Questions