Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 plus years of experience.
17897874

I am trying to find out if a mexican divorce is recognized

Customer Question

I am trying to find out if a mexican divorce is recognized in the state of florida
JA: OK. The Family Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: no, other than to get the divorce. the lawyer said that due to "comity" the divorce would be recognized in all states.
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Family Lawyer can help you best. Is there anything else important you think the Family Lawyer should know?
Customer: Divorce was final 4/12/2016 in Mexico. We have the divorce decree. We want to get married in florida at the end of the month and want to be sure we can obtain the license.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Family Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.
Good morning. I am Loren, a Florida licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.
Was at least one of the parties residing in Mexico at the time of the divorce?
Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.
A divorce decree issued in a foreign country generally is recognized in a state in the United States on the basis of comity (Hilton v. Guyot, 159 U.S. 113, 163-64 (1895), provided both parties to the divorce received adequate notice, i.e., service of process and, generally, provided one of the parties was a domiciliary in the foreign nation at the time of the divorce. Under the principle of comity, a divorce obtained in another country under the circumstances described above receives "full faith and credit" in all other states and countries that recognize divorce.