Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I have a basic question really..in the state of florida can

Customer Question

i have a basic question really..in the state of florida can a mother with hold the information and whereabouts of a child without the fathers consent or knowledge? Because i havent seen or heard from my son for over 40 days and ive been threatened with child support and i havent received any letter in the mail stating so. I have went to the court to find out if i was listed to paychild support or not and the lady there said i wasnt. Now i dont mind paying for child support but is there a way i can madatorily (if thats a word) see my son? i work all week and my only free days are the week ends so im curious on how time sharing works or the laws around it. Mind you there has NEVER been a history of domestic violence or abuse between the two of us. We moved in together briefly till she got on her feet and acquired a job, apartment, etc one disagreement later she calls someone to come get her and my son and i havent seen nor heard from them since. Last time i seen my child was on march 25th. its now may 9th..what are my options?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Have you formally established paternity of the child? That is, is your name on the Birth Certificate?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
of course ive been there since day one i have never been an absentee father
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
so what are my options?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
because honestly the only thing i want to do is see my son. i dont want to fight for custody im not one to just take him from his mother..clearly thats not the case on her end seeing how she can so easily keep him from me. I need to know what can i do to see him without her denying me or my family.
Thank you for the information. You need to file Petition for Joint Legal Custody and Visitation Rights. If your Petition is granted, then the mother MUST disclose all information about the child to you and let you see the child. If the mother refuses to let you see the child, you can file contempt action against her. You can download the forms for filing for joint legal custody and contempt action with the Court. Click on the link below for the forms and instructions: http://www.flcourts.org/resources-and-services/family-courts/family-law-self-help-information/family-law-forms.stml#905 Kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this. Thank you for your cooperation.