Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Partner at Kent Law Group, LLC
92304199

My girlfriend and I had a domestic dispute occur between us

Customer Question

My girlfriend and I had a domestic dispute occur between us yesterday. I filed a restraining order yesterday against her saying she had to stay away from the home that I own and we reside in. I let her stay in my home overnight while I stayed in a hotel trying to be nice. She went and got a restraining order against me today saying I must stay away from my home. Neither order has been served yet.
How does that work?
What do I do?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 10 months ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. I’ll be happy to help you in any way I can. This site is for educational purposes only. Sometimes - although certainly not always - experts have to give you what you deem “bad news” but that should not be a reflection of how satisfied you are with the assistance your expert provided. My goal is to make sure you are completely satisfied before you submit your rating so please let me know if you have additional questions or you need me to clarify anything If there is a delay in the time it takes me to respond it is because I am working with a customer or I am not online - but rest assured I will respond to your follow up question, if you have one. Also, occasionally I will respond from a mobile JA unit, which automatically asks you to submit a rating once I submit a response - but please don't feel like you need to do so until we are done speaking. So basically the two of you got "dueling" restraining orders... why don't you just serve yours?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Because we work together also. It could have an impact on our employment status. I would rather work things out peaceably. She has narcissist personality disorder. She will escalate as far as she can if I fight her. She is a very mean spirited woman.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
If both restraining orders are served banning us from the home, who has to leave?
The restraining order that is obtained first would, in theory, control.
Hi Rich. I wanted to just check in, to see if you needed any additional assistance.