Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

Me and my gf living together 8 years we have a 1

Customer Question

me and my gf living together for almost 8 years we have a 1 child. for her past she have 1boy which is 13 years old.and my past i have 1 girl 13 years old, just arrived in 2014 from phils. do i have the right to file and spousal support because my gf said just move out on our town house that were renting
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. Yes, you could possibly get spousal support but you are ore likely to get child support. “Palimony” is basically alimony (spousal support) for unmarried cohabitating couples. Specifically, it’s an alimony-like support payment that may be available to unmarried partners who are separating after living together for a period of time.In some cases, one partner may ask for monthly payments of palimony after a break-up or may request a palimony settlement in the form of a one-time lump-sum payment. Either way, the first step is figuring out whether your state allows palimony. The term “palimony” was made famous in the California case of Marvin v. Marvin, 18 Cal.3d 660 (1976). The Marvin case involved actor Lee Marvin, who had been living with Michele Triola for a number of years. Triola claimed that Marvin had agreed to support her financially. Although the agreement wasn’t in writing, Triola argued that it was proved by their actions. Triola gave up her own career to take care of Marvin and become his homemaker. In return, Marvin had agreed that Triola was entitled to one-half of his income and property acquired during their relationship. When the couple split, Triola sued for “palimony.” The appeals court held that a written contract for palimony wasn’t required, and if the parties’ actions did in fact support the conclusion that an implied contract for palimony existed, then it would be enforceable. There are some general factors state courts may consider when deciding whether to award palimony, including:(1) the length of the relationship – if a couple cohabitated for a long time, for example over 10 years, a court is more likely to consider claims for financial support after a breakup(2) written agreements or contracts regarding financial support(3) oral promises or agreements regarding financial support, which can be substantiated or corroborated by other evidence(4) an implied understanding between the partners that one would provide financial support to the other after a breakup and/or for the rest of his or her life(5) the ability of the partner asking for palimony to support himself or herself(6) any sacrifices made by either partner to support the other, for example by giving up a career in order to take care of the couple’s home or children(7) any sacrifices or contributions made by one partner to put the other through school so that he or she could earn a professional degree or obtain career advancements, and(8) a significant difference between the partners’ incomes. Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or number from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated by the site
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we are not married so do i have a chance to file a spousal support cause we now we move out my daughter and renting 1 room and i have monthly payment of my car
I understand and that is what my last answer addressed. The answer was only involving a non married couple and support. It is unlikely unless your ex promised to support you and some of the other details I mentioned. You are more likely to get child support from the courts rather than alimony.
I closed out your other question as I answered it on here so you would not be charged for another question. Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or number from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated by the site
Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
stop txting
I do not have your number and I am not texting you, it is the site that has done so. At this point, I only ask that you positively rate my answer as I will not be compensated one cent for my work on your answer as it will all go to the site. I am just a small attorney trying to earn some extra money for my family that will not be reimbursed except for your rating. I will not send another response and please just simply ask for a rating that will allow the site to reimburse me. There should be smiley faces or number from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated by the site. Thank you in advance.