FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
9540344

I had a will prepared in 2007, should I have this reviewed

Customer Question

I had a will prepared in 2007, should I have this reviewed again, and does it need to be notarized when I sign it. I live in Texas.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 7 months ago.
Good afternoon. If the will was prepared in 2007 and never signed, you may want to have it reviewed and/or updated, if things have changed over the years. As far as it being notarized, that is not required and I have provided what the Texas code require, for a will to be valid. If the will is exactly how you want it, then you just need to make sure it is properly executed and would not have to change anything, as long as the dates are current. SUBCHAPTER B. WILL REQUIREMENTS Sec. 251.051. WRITTEN, SIGNED, AND ATTESTED. Except as otherwise provided by law, a last will and testament must be:(1) in writing;(2) signed by:(A) the testator in person; or(B) another person on behalf of the testator:(i) in the testator's presence; and(ii) under the testator's direction; and(3) attested by two or more credible witnesses who are at least 14 years of age and who subscribe their names to the will in their own handwriting in the testator's presence.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or anything I can clarify. I am here to help so please just let me know.