Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

I am married to a Guatemalan man who is also a US citizen.

Customer Question

I am married to a Guatemalan man who is also a US citizen. We were married in the US. We recently purchased property and moved to Guatemala. The property is in his name only and does not want to add my name. I was told I would have more financial protection (regarding the property) if our marriage was registered in Guatemala.
JA: OK. The Immigration Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No.
JA: Is there anything else the Immigration Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: I would like to know how to register the marriage.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Immigration Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
As you are a married couple, if you register the marriage in Guatemala, you would have community property interest in any property that was acquired during the marriage. Registering the marriage is just a proof that you are legally married, as Guatemala recognizes marriages that occur in the US. You file your marriage with the marriage registrar in the town where you are residing there in Guatemala.