RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

I live in Iowa. I am going through a divorce that my wife filed

Customer Question

I live in Iowa. I am going through a divorce that my wife filed for. If I give up all parental rights to our kids do I still have to pay child support
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for using Just Answer. I look forward to assisting you.A court will not terminate someone's parental right just because someone asks. The person asking for the termination must show that the parent has abandoned the child or is a danger to the child. They must show this in court, with evidence. Evidence can be witness testimony. It can also be documents, like medical reports. Terminating a person's parental rights is a very serious step, and a court will not do it unless the evidence is "clear and convincing." That means the evidence must be better than in an ordinary civil case.Many people wonder if they can give up their parental rights because they don't want to pay child support. In most cases, a court will not allow this. That is because a person with parental rights is also a person with parental responsibilities. Under Iowa law, parents are responsible for supporting their children. Iowa law also says it is almost always best for children to have parents who are responsible for supporting them. The exception to this would be if your wife later remarries, and her new spouse wants to adopt your children. She could then ask for your rights to be terminated, and you could consent to this, clearing the way for the adoption. Once adopted, the new spouse would take on the legal role of the parent, your rights having been terminated, and therefore, your financial obligations as well. If you need clarification or additional information, please reply and I'm happy to assist further.
Your complete satisfaction is my goal. If you need additional information or clarification about my answer, please reply, and I'm happy to assist further. Otherwise, kindly remember to leave a positive rating by clicking on the stars/happy faces (3-5 stars/happy faces) as that is the only way experts such as myself are compensated on this site for our time and expertise, even if you have left a deposit. It doesn't cost you anything extra to leave a rating. Thank you.
Just checking in to see if you needed any additional information about this matter? If not, please remember that experts on this site work on the honor system, and we are not paid until you leave a positive rating by clicking on the stars/happy faces (even though you may have placed a deposit with the site). As always, if you need additional information, simply REPLY, and I am happy to continue assisting you