Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

I had to appear before a judge on a arbitrary judgement, which

Customer Question

I had to appear before a judge on a arbitrary judgement, which was embarrassing enough. In the court was just me the lawyer, judge and his assistant. The assistant is my ex-wife sister in-law from which my wife cheated on me after 30 years and it was not a happy divorce. So the next day my ex text me "I heard you showed up to court drunk". I was not drunk and she new all about my case which now everyone will know. She even went so far and said the judge said I was to his assistant. Is this proper behavior for a judge to say such lies without any facts?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The court case is public record, but making known false statements about you to others is defamation and accusing you of being a drunk is defamation per se. So the first thing you need to do is file suit against the individual who made the known false statement (it is more likely than not the judge did not say it and the person is trying to make themselves look better) and seek money damages from them. Also, if the judge did make such a statement and it was false, then you can file a complaint with the state judicial oversight committee for investigation.
It is more likely this person made the known false statement without the judge ever saying a word. You would be able to sue them for defamation and they would have to bring the judge into court if they want to blame it on him and it is unlikely he will come to court or they would jeopardize their job by trying to get a judge to lie for them making false statements.