Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

Im in the middle of a divorce and have not started the financial

Customer Question

Im in the middle of a divorce and have not started the financial settlement part of the process... Last year, my income was down and my wife thought that I purposely made less money so that when it comes time to settle, I'd pay her less... She has a key to my apartment and this hasn't been a problem historically. Yesterday, she asked if she could drop the dog off when I wasn't there, I told her yes... She came into my apartment while I wasn't there and on the counter she saw a sealed fedex from my parents. She opened the fedex and saw a birthday card with a few thousand dollars in cash (my parents know I wouldn't cash a check from them)... Now, she thinks I purposely lowered my income and am being subsidized by my folks, which is 100% not true and any bank records could prove this... My question is, ... aside from any advice you can offer, is there anything illegal about her opening a sealed envelope in the context of the above?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 5 months ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.
Expert:  Roger replied 5 months ago.
Yes, it is a crime to KNOWINGLY open someone else's mail, and it can carry up to 3 years in jail. Here's a good article you can read:
Expert:  Roger replied 5 months ago.
That said, it would be highly unlikely for a federal prosecutor to try to put someone in jail for opening an piece of mail....but it could be something you could make her aware of and that you have the right to prosecute her.