P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including family law.

I have obtained a money judgment here in California how do

Customer Question

I have obtained a money judgment here in California how do I secure it in Puerto Rico where the debtor now resides?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 5 months ago.
Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to helpAlso, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen. You will need to bring this to the courts in Puerto Rico and ask the court to "domesticate" the order. The "full faith and credit" clause of the US Constitution will apply...the courts in Puerto Rico will issue this order in Puerto Rico...but you need to file a motion with the court to accomplish this. For this you want to use a local attorney (once licensed in Puerto Rico). The adage "a man who represents himself has a fool for a client" is often true. If you act as your own lawyer, the court will expect you to know the law/rules/procedure/evidence just as if you were admitted to the bar. They (the court) will not cut you any slack. If the goal is to win the case, hire a lawyer. Once the court issues the order, you can then use the courts to enforce (for example with garnishment or a order to seize and sell property)Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.
HiExperts on this site (myself) are compensated ONLY if the customer (yourself) "rate" or "accept" the answer. Please rate the answer so I may receive creditThanks for your understandingPhil