Steven  K.
Steven K., Family Law Attorney
Experience:  I have practiced family law since 1996, focusing on child custody and domestic violence
44472555

Someone sent a summons today to my job in GA to appear

Customer Question

someone sent a summons today to my job in GA for me to appear in VA via priority mail. the secretary signed for it, but I know this is indeed not proper service. In fact, its another act of harassment, as the person has been harassing me at my job. I filed a TPO against him which was served 2 days ago. His command told hm NOT to contact me again, as he had been calling my boss and sending crazy faxes to her, yet he sent this nonsense to my job. I am a itinerant teacher, so there;s no guarantee what school I would even be at, so I know this is improper service..besides, I didn't did'nt for it, the secretary did. Am I correct?
JA: The Family Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: no. I am paying 2 attorneys already (1 in GA and the other in VA) because he kidnapped my grand baby....by the way, this is my grand baby's father. He and my daughter are involved in a custody battle since he kidnapped my grand baby and fled the state in Feb. I helped my daughter file a Congressional Complaint against his command at the Navy based on how they treated us when we attempted to get their assistance with forcing him to comply with the Writ of Habea to return my grand baby
JA: OK. The Family Lawyer will need to help you with this. Is there anything else the Family Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: Nope. Other than I served him with a valid TPO to be heard here in Atlanta Monday based on him harassing me at my job, and he apparently filed something in VA in March against me. I have no idea for what, as the last communication I had with him was via text 2/6/16. I don't have $ for another attorney. I plan on representing myself at the TPO hearing against him on Monday
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Family Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Steven K. replied 7 months ago.
Service on a third party at your business is not proper service, you are correct. However, completely ignoring the case might have detrimental effects on you. You don't know what the Proof of Service is going to say - they may claim to have served you. You would be best off hiring an attorney to object to service of process, or at least have someone check the court file to see how you were allegedly served. What kind of relief are they seeking in court?