Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience

I am from Texas, I have an 8 year old son, and I will be going

Customer Question

I am from Texas, I have an 8 year old son, and I will be going to my first child support hearing coming up. The father and I do not have any type of visitation plan or anything. But he is threatening about getting joint custody. If my son and the father had a good bonding relationship i would not see a problem but my son is used to his normal schedule and I'm afraid if the father fights for joint custody it will effect my son in a negative way. Should I agree to anything that has to do with custody. I thought i was only going for child support but it looks like in Texas they also bring up the custody side as well
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 5 months ago.
No you do not have to agree if you are not comfortable but you need to show a willingness to cooperate and allow visitation. Really custody in this case means more about who has decision making authority of the child. You would want to retain that such as for medical and educational decisions.
Let me know if you have any additional questions otherwise a positive rating would be appreciated.