Steven  K.
Steven K., Family Law Attorney
Experience:  I have practiced family law since 1996, focusing on child custody and domestic violence

I am heading divorce or legal separation. I am 73 years

Customer Question

I am heading for a divorce or legal separation. I am 73 years old and unable to get a job. How can I get some support from my husband up front so I can leave and live elsewhere while this process goes on. Does this require filing for divorce immediately?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Steven K. replied 5 months ago.
To get spousal support, you would have to file for divorce or legal separation. If you wish to ultimately be divorced, then you should not bother with legal separation. If you may want to maintain the marriage for any reason, including maintaining health insurance, then you would be better off filing for legal separation. Within the case, you would ask for temporary orders allowing for relocation money and spousal support. You can also ask for use of various community property assets, such as a vehicle or furniture. This page helps you figure out how to file for divorce and separation and directs you to the forms you will need. Do you have any other questions?