Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

My name is ***** ***** I was 19 I had my daughter my adopted

Customer Question

Hi my name is ***** ***** I was 19 I had my daughter my adopted mother was under the impression that I didn't want my daughter the day I came home from the hospital with my daughter DHS was at are house wanting to take my daughter someone set that up a head of time I did sign a paper that my adopted mom typed on her computer saying she could take care of my daughter there was nothing legally done threw court nothing at all she moved from Oklahoma to Oregon with my daughter I recently asked for my daughter back and my adopted mom is not making it easy PLEASE HEALP Any advice is aprciated thank you
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 7 months ago.
My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. If the adopted mother does not have custody of the child then she has no right to keep your child away from you. A fit natural parent has superior rights to the child over all others, and as such you can go and pick up the child (a mere allegation of unfitness is not sufficient, they would need to take this matter up to a judge). While the police cannot "give" you custody of the child, they can be present when you go to pick up the child to ensure that there isn't a breach of the peace when you take the child. It is not legal for your adopted mother to take away your child even if you did sign a piece of paper saying she could take care of the child. This does not equal a court order. Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.
Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?