FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
9540344

What is the consequence to someone over the age of 18 and living

Customer Question

What is the consequence to someone over the age of 18 and living within the home
who verbally and physically abuses an elderly or physically ill parent?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 7 months ago.
Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Physical abuse abuse is criminal and the State of New Jersey can arrest, charge and prosecute this person. The penalties and consequences are typically seen a more severe, when an elderly person is involved and if an individual knows there is physical abuse, they really should report this. The police can and should be called and if there are witnesses to the abuse, they should give a statement, which will help with the prosecution of the case. A warning can be given but if they have abused this person in the past, it will likely continue, when outside the presence of any witnesses.
Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 6 months ago.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!