FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases

Is a compensation settlement community property in a divor

Customer Question

is a compensation settlement community property in a divorce
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 5 months ago.
Good morning. Compensation a party received for personal injuries during the marriage not related to loss of wages or earning capacity during the marriage, would be considered separate property and something which the other party may not be entitled to. A lot depends on the facts of the case, the situation and if the settlement money was commingled or kept separate.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
not satisfied still unclear does not explain what commingled means or how comp cases are broken down
Not a problem and I am happy to respond. Allow me a moment.
When I say commingled, it would refer to a situation where you were awarded a check for X amount of dollars but then deposited the check in a joint bank account and used it for your expenses with your spouse. The funds would be mixed together and used for things which benefited both of you. However, if you were to deposit the check in a separate account, you could show the money was never touched or used to benefit both parties. As far as the breakdown, your attorney would be entitled to a percentage of what was recovered and settled and then rest paid to you, after fees and costs are covered.
Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.