How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 36208
Experience:  Attorney with 16 years experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son and his wife live in Ca. He is a furniture maker and

Customer Question

My son and his wife live in Ca. He is a furniture maker and unable to find employment. They want to move to Wa. state where he will be able to find employment. She has a son who the paternal grandmother has custody of. She has been paying child support, and has no problem in continuing to do so when they move to Wa. state. Would this be considered desertion? Both the mother and step father love the child and have had child visits. It is necessary to move only because they are unable to make a living in that state. Appreciate help or advice.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question..Would this be considered desertion?.No, absolutely not. Desertion is when a parent just absconds and has not contact with the child or other parent for an extended period of time while they are not contributing anything towards support of any kind..So the fact that the mother has to move for employment reasons wouldn't be considered desertion as long as she keeps in contact with the child and is continuing to pay any support that is ordered..An argument could be made that this is in "the best interests of the child", which is the legal standard judges apply, because the move allows the mother to continue to be able to afford to pay any support for the child while still allowing him to remain in his school...thanksBarrister..thanksBarrister

Related Family Law Questions