Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.

If my (ex) husband paid on my van and insurrance

Customer Question

If my (ex) husband paid on my van and insurrance for awhile because it was in his name. He owes me half of dqycare, medical bills, dental etc, but now he says i owe him money... He has been deducting the van and insurrance against the payment owed. In the divorce decreed, it states that any additional payme ts made does not count towatd child support... Can I take him to court and have him pay for the daycare, dental, etc....without any refards to the van. The van was awarded to me through the divorce, but he never tried to help me sell it... and I couldn't do it without his help. I paid it off and the van is now in my name. Now he says I owe him for the rest that he paid.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You would file a motion for an order to show cause for contempt of court, since the decree states that he could not offset payments that he makes toward child support as well as for the failure to pay his share of daycare and other expenses as ordered.
As far as what he paid on the van, that is up to the court to decide, since it was not in the court order and the court can find that this is a gift to you if he paid without any agreement with you to repay him.