Bill Fix
Bill Fix, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Attorney at Fix Law, PLLC
93921581

I have been married years. My wife has worked off and

Customer Question

I have been married for 8 years. My wife has worked off and on for about 6 years and is currently working. Would I be obligated to pay spousal support. There was never any understanding that she would not work.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 7 months ago.
What state is this in regards ***** *****? Are there minor children involved?
Expert:  Bill Fix replied 7 months ago.
Your question may have very different answers depending on the state where you live. I think many states would say is she is capable of working and has been working for a while, then there's no need for spousal support--both of you can take care of yourselves individually. However, other states would order it if there is a big difference between your income and hers, or if she has gotten accustomed to a particular lifestyle with you for the last 8 years, and a divorce would cause her to drastically change that lifestyle.You did not ask about child support, but if you have kids together, and they will be staying with her primarily (or perhaps even half the time), you will most assuredly have to pay child support. But courts look at different factors in determining child support versus spousal support.
Expert:  Bill Fix replied 7 months ago.
I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, please provide a rating. If not, please let me know so l can continue to help you. Thank you.