JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
Experience:  Began practicing Family Law in 1992

My friend and his wife have 3 kids. 2 together and one of hers

Customer Question

My friend and his wife have 3 kids. 2 together and one of hers from another relationship. And my friend and his wife live in his wife's family home and his wife is a drug addict that won't get help. Can he make her leave the house if he files for separation in an attempt to make her get help or does he have to leave with his 2 kids and leave her kid with her. Thanks. In Louisiana
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 5 months ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. Please be patient when waiting for a response. I may be looking something up, typing the response, or busy with something else and sometimes it takes a while to respond. The judge can make her leave the home. There's no guarantee that a judge would do that, but certainly it is possible since one person has to leave.He likely wouldn't have any rights to the third child. He can talk to his lawyer and see if they think the local judge would be likely to keep the child in the home on a temporary basis but it would be extremely unlikely that a judge would do anything on other than a temporary basis.