Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
10707909

Child Protective Services went to my children school and talked

Customer Question

Child Protective Services went to my children school and talked to them without my permission. I have been asked to come to the school today for an interview with children and families they would not tell me what this is about. What should I do?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
Hello​This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.Please tell meHow old are your children? How did you find out CPS interviewed them? If from the children - did the tell you what they were interviewed about?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
one is 11 years old, one is 7 years old. No not from the children. CPS called me at home and asked me to come in for an interview. No, they did not tell me what the interview is about.
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.Well, then I suggest you consider going to the meeting. If at any time you become uncomfortable you can leave. You are under no legal obligation to answer any CPS questions. You can just say I'm not answering that. You can take your children and leave and consult with a local attorney should the meeting become uncomfortable
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
But I suggest you would want to know what they have a concern with.
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
Once you find out what the issue is and why they are concerned, then you can progress from there. Again, you can go in and listen, let them tell you the issue and if you are uncomfortable, take the kids and leave. Tell them you are consulting with a local attorney and the attorney will contact them.
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
I suggest you do not want to answer too many questions. And if there are allegations of neglect or abuse, I suggest you do not answer anything and simply take the kids and leave.
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
But you should at least find out what the concern is.
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know here if you have other questions or need clarification. Otherwise a Positive rating ensures i get credit for my time.