socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)

My husband and I already have a legal agreement that

Customer Question

Hello, my husband and I already have a legal agreement that was completed in february by a mediator. I need a uncontested divorce (domestic relations law 170G) to finalize the process. I dont need to fill out the divorce papers, but need to submit my agreement. I need advice as to what the best route is if i already have the agreement completed. Please let me know. thanks.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 5 months ago.
Hello, Have you already filed and served a summons on your spouse (or, vise versa)?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
we completed the agreement in february and signed everything through our mediator. but now we need to actually file the divorce, but our mediator doesnt offer that service. I dont want to fill out the divorce forms because all of our terms are outlined in our agreement.
I understand your desire to "short circuit" the standard approach, file your settlement agreement and get a judgment. Unfortunately, there's no way to do that. You must follow the same steps that you would have filed had you never filled out any forms in the first place. The only difference, of course, is that you have already settled your case. Here is a link to the NY State Uncontested Divorce Booklet. Just follow the steps. I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.Thanks again for using Justanswer!
I see that you opened a second Q&A session with a follow-up question. I closed that question so that you are not charged twice. There is no way to avoid going through the filling process. You cannot simply file a marital settlement agreement and get a judgment. I realize that you may believe differently, however, I believe that you will discover, after continuing to research the issue, that your only alternative is to follow the required steps and file the settlement agreement as described in the booklet that I provided. Thanks again for using Justanswer!