P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including family law.
11181181

Divorced in VA, ex just moved to SC. If I move to FL and stop

Customer Question

Divorced in VA, ex just moved to SC. If I move to FL and stop making alimony payments is there reciprocal agreement with VA? I believe FL is a non-Garnishment state.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 7 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

It is the "full faith and credit clause" of the US Constitution that will kick in here to protect that VA order.

Article IV, Section 1 of the United States Constitution, known as the "Full Faith and Credit Clause", addresses the duties that states within the United States have to respect the "public acts, records, and judicial proceedings of every other state."

This section of the Constitution will allow your ex to go to VA, get an order from the VA court to enforce the order, take that order to FL and have the FL court take action (including the possibility of holding you in contempt) to enforce the order.

In other words, you can not escape the VA order simply by moving to FL

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.