Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

My former spouse retired from the government at the beginning

Customer Question

My former spouse retired from the government at the beginning of 2014. For years I have been trying to unravel the mess he made in his filings for my share of the pension. Finally, on March 3rd of this year I received a letter from OPM stating that my back payment would be sent to me "shortly," and that my monthly annuity payments would begin April 1st.
And then came absolute silence. Nothing. No money. No response to phone calls or letters. Nothing.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
What is your question for us regarding this matter? You do have a QDRO filed regarding the pension, correct?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
If by QDRO you mean a court order, yes, I have a certified court order filed with the government. I worked with the Court Ordered Benefits Office of the Office of Personnel Management to do this.The pension, which began the beginning of 2014, has not been paid out to me. At all. In spite of a letter dated March 3rd of this year stating that the back amount owed me was due "shortly," and that my monthly annuity payments would begin on April 1st.
Thank you for your reply.
If there is a qualified domestic relations order for the pension and annuity and they are not releasing your payments as ordered, there is a contempt of court. So your next step is to file a motion for an order to show cause for contempt of court against your ex and you name the OPM as a party to the motion for contempt and you serve them as well and force them to all appear in court to explain where your payments are and why you have not received payments as ordered in the court order.