Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

Can the defendants choose to disobey verbal court order at

Customer Question

Can the defendants choose to disobey verbal court order at the end of a preliminary injunctive hearing
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist. A verbal order is not technically effective.....it must be reduced to writing in order to take legal action against a party for violating it. But, if a verbal order isn't being followed, you could submit a written order to the court and have it signed and filed so you can enforce it.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
In any event, the judge is not going to take very kindly to a party disobeying his/her order -- regardless of whether it is a legal order or not.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How long will a judge take to finalize a written order. My hearing was on April 15, judge ruled favorably. However he has not signed the written order yet.?
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Usually, the parties submit an approved order within 10 days or so of the hearing.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
If you have a lawyer, you should contact him/her about the status of be order.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
*the
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
If you don't have a lawyer, you may want to contact the court administrator and ask when the order will be entered and if you need to try and submit one to the judge for consideration.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The orders were submitted to judge on April 20. Actually 2 orders were submitted. When we contacted the court they said the judge was overwhelmed with cases that is why.
However can the other side ignore/disobey his verbal ruling until the written order is signed
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. Until the order is actually signed by the judge and entered in the court file, it is not a legally binding order.......so it is technically possible for the parties to ignore the order until that point, but you'd never really expect a party to do so because if the judge were to find out, it would likely infuriate him/her and not be good for the party that violates the order.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
But, technically, the parties could violate the verbal order without being in contempt of court UNTIL the order is signed and filed......but again, it would not be a good idea to do so.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How long does the judge have to sign an order in NJ
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Without researching it, I couldn't say for certain.....but in most jurisdictions, judges have up to 6 months to execute/enter an order or judgment.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Even for preliminary injunctions
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Again, I'd have to do some legal research to tell you specifically......but 6 months is the maximum on most orders in most jurisdictions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you please do the research that is why am asking you
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
That's outside of the scope of the original question, which was about whether the order has to be filed in order to be finding against the parties. If you want to ask a new question along those lines, an expert can respond to you on that.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
I'd offer to do the research for a fee, but I'm not able to conduct it right now as I'm traveling....but another expert could pick it up and handle that for you. But, I certainly would appreciate you positively rating our conversation for the question you originally asked.