How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Asad Rahman Your Own Question
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2120
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Asad Rahman is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Pearl, I was with a girl 11 years ago and she gave birth

Customer Question

Hello Pearl, I was with a girl 11 years ago and she gave birth to our daughter. I was only with her for a little while but she got pregnant. she got a boyfriend when she was 2 month pregnant with my kid. she let him sign birth certificate and they never contacted me and Ididnt find my kid til she was 9 on facebook. they separated and he has custody of my daughter. do I have rights considering I now met my kid and love her. he is now crippled and his caregiver/girlfriend tells me she want to adopt kid since bio mom is drug addict.
JA: OK. The Family Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Is there anything else the Family Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: no, I dont think so. the guy that signed birth certificate is not all their. girlfrind is getting paid as caregiver for them
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Family Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.
Yes you do have rights. You need to file for both paternity and for custody. Can you tell me what state you reside in?

Related Family Law Questions