Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience

Pearl, I was with a girl 11 years ago and she gave birth

Customer Question

Hello Pearl, I was with a girl 11 years ago and she gave birth to our daughter. I was only with her for a little while but she got pregnant. she got a boyfriend when she was 2 month pregnant with my kid. she let him sign birth certificate and they never contacted me and Ididnt find my kid til she was 9 on facebook. they separated and he has custody of my daughter. do I have rights considering I now met my kid and love her. he is now crippled and his caregiver/girlfriend tells me she want to adopt kid since bio mom is drug addict.
JA: OK. The Family Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Is there anything else the Family Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: no, I dont think so. the guy that signed birth certificate is not all their. girlfrind is getting paid as caregiver for them
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Family Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 6 months ago.
Yes you do have rights. You need to file for both paternity and for custody. Can you tell me what state you reside in?