Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 plus years of experience.

When my mom died she left her house (in Ohio) to my sister

Customer Question

When my mom died she left her house (in Ohio) to my sister and me. The house Is now titled in my and my sisters names only. We are selling the house. The title agent states that I need to get a release of dower from my husband. My husband and I are not Ohio residents, we live in Indiana. Is this still applicable?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Loren replied 5 months ago.
Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.The state in which the property is located is the law which would apply. Ohio does provide for dower rights and the fact that you live in Indiana would not change that with regard to real estate in Ohio.
Expert:  Loren replied 5 months ago.
I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.