Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

I Have a child support order in NC. My ex-husband owes over

Customer Question

I Have a child support order in NC. My ex-husband owes over $20,000 in arrears. I have information that he has that money in a checking account in NY. I have contacted my local child support office to inform them but they said they cannot put a lien on a checking account. Only saving accounts money market accounts etc. How can I go about getting a judgement and then getting a lien placed on the checking account.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. What someone in your situation wants to do is to hire an attorney in NY to domesticate the arrears order in NY. Once that happens, the arrears will then be able to be enforced in NY, and one can possibly convert them into a civil judgment and then lien property, garnish wages, and levy an account. While this may cost you money upfront, many times, attorney/legal fees may be attached to judgments. I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.