Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

And I have a question My divorce is

Customer Question

Hi my name is Ruben
And I have a question
My divorce is not final till August and I was wondering if I could keep my ex wife in my health benefits after the divorce is final to the end of the year 2016
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also if I get a letter notarized and summit to the court that I agree to keep her in Mt health Insurance at work
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist. Your wife can only stay on your insurance as long as you are married......but once the marriage is over, the insurance coverage would also end. But, she should be eligible for COBRA coverage for several months. Here's a good link you can read: http://www.wife.org/lowenstein.htm
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And who has to pay that
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
She would pay for her own COBRA coverage unless there's an agreement between you to the contrary.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And also since we been legal separated for 2 years already does she have the right to be on my health insurance
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
She has the right to stay on your insurance as long as you're legally married.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And how about if I summit a letter notarized saying that I agree to keep her in my health insurance to the end of year
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
It's not allowable because insurance coverage is only available to the spouse....so you can't legally agree. But, you could offer to pay her for the COBRA coverage.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Also, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting. Thanks again!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And what about if I don't inform my job that I got divorce and keep my ex on my benefits what can happen
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
You can be charged for the insurance coverage paid by your employer and you could also be required to pay any claim she were to submit for payment (if any). So, it would basically be as if she had no insurance and you paid for her care yourself. It's much easier and safer just to apply for COBRA and move on.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if you have anymore questions and thanks for allowing me to assist. Also, please remember to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting. Thanks!
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if you need anything further. Also, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting. Thanks again!