Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.

My granddaughter has a disability and has three children.

Customer Question

my granddaughter has a disability and has three children. I am 74 years and have been supporting her since birth. on 12/22/15 her children were taken away from her because cps thinks she is not qualified to care for her children. The reason is that her 3 year old roamed away in the mall when she had five other children and another instance she left her 3 year old with afriend in Monroe park and these friends called the police because they intended for her to get into trouble with cps. She believes everyone is her friend. I am trying to keep this family she is married and her husband wants to apply for custody of the children until she may some day get them back. er take care of her children. Will she ever be able to get her children back after these two incidents?. What are my options for helping? are there services to help her keep her children ? She loves very much, is attending parenting classes once again, she has a stable and loving home and I will be responsible for her supervision as well.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am sorry to hear this has happened, but the incidents you describe really are considered fairly severe by CPS. The chances of her getting her children back though will depend on her success in parenting classes and also will depend on her finding some type of support system to assist her because of her disability. So, at this point, if you are willing to step up and take custody, there is a good chance that as a qualified family member you will be allowed custody and it is going to take more proof that she is stable and capable of watching the children and caring for them again without any further similar incidents as you described (that will be based on continued parenting classes and other support groups she will need to continue to attend and keep up with).