JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
Experience:  Began practicing Family Law in 1992

I live in Colorado, my Daughters Mother lives in Wyoming. Up

Customer Question

I live in Colorado, my Daughters Mother lives in Wyoming. Up until yesterday I was commuting between Cheyenne and Denver for work. I have the baby with me now in Denver. We weren't married and have no custody arrangement. I would like to know when I legally need to bring her back to her mother. And when should I legally be able to pick her up again
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 6 months ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. Do you have an order from a judge which sets forth custody, visitation, support, etc?
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 6 months ago.
Not an "arrangement" between you, but an actual order from a judge?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No we have nothing filed with any court
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 6 months ago.
Generally, without an order then there is no requirement that you bring the child back at a certain time, pick her up at a certain time, etc. That is because both parents have an equal right to the child.The problem arises if you, the father, have not been found to be the father by a court yet. In some cases like that then if the mother gets mad and goes to a local judge they will take her side and say that until such time as you are found to be the father by a court, you actually have no rights to the child. Other judges take a different approach. So, essentially, you and she have equal rights to the child at this time, and you aren't required to have the child back to her at any particular schedule.