Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
26296561

My parents are elderly, and my Dad is becoming increasingly

Customer Question

My parents are elderly, and my Dad is becoming increasingly more aggressive towards my Mother. He has been verbally and emotionally abusive to her for the last three years. It was behind closed doors but it is visible and noticeable. He has started to put his hands on her. He has stepped out of the marriage with a woman. My sister and I are not sure what we can do to protect her. We are both very worried about her. I am not sure if I can ask help with the elder abuse hotline, because both of them are elderly.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** am a US licensed attorney and I will be happy to answer your question.I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.Please note, I cannot comment on your specific situation, as this services is only limited to general information and for any legal advice / legal service you should contact your local attorney.Is your mother mentally competent?Is she willing to report any physical abuse to the police?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think her confidence is shaken. She seems to be mentally competent. I do not think she is willing to talk to the police. My sister has taken some pictures of her bruises. She says she tripped over the dogs, and then at some point he grabbed her arm and tore the scabs on her arms. Wh have witnessed the verbally and emotionally abuse.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And I understand you are limited to what you can say.
I just want to know what direction to go.
Thank you for your follow up.Generally, it is important to document any physical or other abuse that might be perpetrated on the elderly parent and also such abuse can in fact be reported to the local police and also to the Elder Protection Agency which will investigate such reports, even if the abuser is an elderly spouse.Generally, it is difficult for authorities to pursue some type of criminal case against the abuser if the elderly victim is mentally competent and is not willing to cooperate, however, it might be important to also make sure that the elderly mother received proper medical and psychological / mental care, so the issues can be documented by the medical professionals also and if the mother starts showing any type of incompetence or the elderly father starts to show signs of mental incompetence, then children can in fact file petition with the local probate court and ask the court to declare both and/or either parent legally incompetent and to appoint legal guardian for both or either parent.I wish you the best of luck!
Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.Thank you.