RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .

What type of evidence do I present or what witnesses do I

Customer Question

What type of evidence do I present or what witnesses do I call for a custody trial where I am representing myself?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 5 months ago.
Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today. You would want long time friends, relatives, minister that can testify that they have known you for a long period of time and are familiar with your abilities as a parent and you are the better choice as a parent.They would have seen you with the child and how good you are here.They can state in their opinion the best interests of the child would be to give you legal custody. If the child here is 10 or older then they have right to testify and state their opinion on who they want to live with.You want to have more witnesses than the other side , you hope then that this is the preponderance of the evidence that you should be given legal custody to raise the child. You can show the home or apartment where child will be raised, any helpers such as relatives that can provide child care while you are at work.These are the important things to cover with your witnesses. I appreciate the chance to help you today and wish you the best in court.
Reference to NC law North Carolina family courts decide child custody issues based on what it believes to be in the best interest of the child. This is called the best interest of the child standard. Some of the factors courts will use when deciding custody issues are:History of domestic violenceThe child's overall safetyThe child's current living arrangementThe child's relationship with each parentEach parent's ability to care for the childWhether each parent can create a stable home for the child.- See more at: