RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.

In state of PA how is child support calculated different

Customer Question

In state of PA how is child support calculated for two different mothers? Is one who filed first going to get max and second child gets short end of stick? Or is it split 50/50 among both mothers receiving support?
I read some websites which stated in other states one who files first will get max he is entitled... and next to file will get 20% of income left.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Also if father refiled after fact for modification of first order... would second child support order be deducted off his net income in consideration?
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for using Just Answer. I look forward to helping you. Rule of Civil Procedure 1910.16-7 is often called the “Multiple Family Rule.”Child support in Pennsylvania is set up to avoid a situation in which Baby Peter is robbed to pay Baby Paul, so generally there will not be a “discount” because the person paying child support has one or more children of other families to support, as well. If, however, his total child support obligation (using separate guideline calculations for each family) exceeds half his income or leaves him with less than $867 per month, he can ask for a proportionate discount. His support obligation toward a newer, intact family will be calculated just like his other obligations, by pretending (for purposes of the calculation) that he and his present co-parent have separated.Each guideline calculation (for each set of parents, that is) is performed independently, with an eye toward making sure that the child(ren) of those parents are treated as similarly as possible in comparison to other children whose parents are in the same income range… NOT so that they are treated similarly to others who might be in the same blended household.It is based on the net monthly income, yes. If you click on the hyperlink above, there are some good examples of how child support is calculated. If you need clarification or additional information, please reply and I'm happy to assist you. Thank you.