How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife is 3 months pregnant and has svt. Her heart was beating

Customer Question

My wife is 3 months pregnant and has svt. Her heart was beating extremely fast the other night, so I brought to a women's and children emergency room. Once we arrived she was stabilized and the baby was fine. We were then advised that she needed to be transfered for further test and observation. The hospital contacted another hospital which had room, but refused my wife because she was pregnant. Can we sue
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 10 months ago.
It depends, I would speculate not, but you could contact a local attorney and see if they are willing to do the additional research necessary to determine if there is a case (based only on what you posted there isn't).If the hospital refused to accept your wife because they had inadequate facilities and resources to support a pregnant patient, then there would be no basis for a lawsuit.There is a statute ("EMTALA") that requires hospitals to provide emergency care (such as the stabilization treatment that your wife received in the emergency room), but there is no law requiring any hospital to accept any patient.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
What if the the women's and children's hospital where my wife was already have already filled a grievance with the hospital
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 10 months ago.
I would recommend contacting an attorney and having them look into the matter.Filing a grievance only means that one hospital disagrees with the potential receiving facility's actions (and at that, it means that the individual or team filing the grievance disagrees). It does not mean that the grievance is entirely correct (there may be more to the other facilities denial of services than appears on its face).So, if you want to pursue it, contact a local personal injury attorney and see if they are willing to look into it. Keep in mind, this isn't a high dollar lawsuit, so there might not be a lot of interest in it from that angle, but a local attorney should be able to take a look and at least give you a better idea based on all of the facts (something beyond what I can do - here I can provide you with general information - which is: hospitals don't have to take patients unless they are presented for emergency care), and help you proceed from there.
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 10 months ago.
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 10 months ago.

Related Family Law Questions