How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Steven K. Your Own Question
Steven  K.
Steven K., Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2363
Experience:  I have practiced family law since 1996, focusing on child custody and domestic violence
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Steven K. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a US Citizen, I went to the Philippines to

Customer Question

Hello! I am a US Citizen, I went to the Philippines to study, I met someone and we got married in the Philippines. I went back to the US after and petitioned him to come to the US, I never filled my marriage here such as change of name, county clerks office, SS office etc. However, things didn't work out after he got here... do we need to file a divorce? is our marriage even recognized here if I didn't file it anymore as being recorded as married? Can we just call it quits and walk away from each other as if we were never married? thanks!
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Steven K. replied 1 year ago.
Technically, you are married in the United States, as the U.S. recognizes foreign marriages. You should, therefore, divorce if you want to terminate the marriage. Clearly, ICE knows of the marriage since you petitioned for him to come to the U.S., so the government does have a record of the marriage. Do you have any other questions?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have been separated for 2 years, if he decides to get re married and I don't contest is that ok? or we really need to divorce? we just wanna avoid paying and I dont care if he gets re married
Expert:  Steven K. replied 1 year ago.
You really need to divorce. If you don't, you'll remain married and his second marriage will be invalid.

Related Family Law Questions