Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney

If, after a particularly spat, my wife drives away from

Customer Question

If, after a particularly nasty spat, my wife drives away from our house in a huff to spend the night, or the weekend, in a hotel; and I lock the door behind her, and turn the bolt, have I committed an offense? If, the next day, she angrily demands to return to the house, and I refuse to unbolt the door, have I committed an offense? I "think' I know the answer to these questions, but I'd like to be sure.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Hello. My name is***** am a US licensed attorney and I will be happy to answer your question.I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.Please note, I cannot comment on your specific situation, as this services is only limited to general information and for any legal advice / legal service you should contact your local attorney.Generally, it is not illegal to lock the door of the marital home with a deadbolt when a spouse leaves to spend the night elsewhere, however, when the spouse who left returns, such spouse would need to be let back into marital home upon first request, in order to avoid any legal issues.Refusing to unlock the doors, can amount to an illegal eviction and can potentially subject the spouse who remained in the home to civil and/or criminal liability.I wish you the best of luck!
Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.Thank you.