AttyHeather, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience

We meet tomorrow at 10am CST. My ex-wife, her attorney and

Customer Question

We meet tomorrow at 10am CST. My ex-wife, her attorney and me. We will meet outside the courtroom and she will have the orders all ready to sign. We sign it. Then go into the courtroom. The trial time is 10am, but now there is no trial, because we settled out of court. So do I have to appear in front of the judge? I assume so. And at that time, is the judge going to actually read in detail the order? Or do it later? What do you anticipate the reaction of the judge on this paragraph about the vidoe? Of course, you don't have a crystal ball, but what would you best guess be?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  AttyHeather replied 6 months ago.
Hi, My name is*****'m an attorney with 15 years vigorous family law courtroom practice experience, and I would like to assist you in answering your question. My response is for information and education, and not as legal advice and we do not form an attorney/client relationship.I am sure you are relieved that it is hopefully almost over. Most likely what will happen is that you will arrive at the courthouse. You go in and sit an one table, your ex and her attorney will sit at the other. The judge will call the case, saying something like, "I'll now call case number *****" Then he'll have your wife's attorney make his appearance, which is when the attorney states that he is present with your wife. Then, the judge will probably say for the record that you are there in person with no attorney. Then the judge would probably say something like, "I see that we are here for a bench trial on the divorce for these parties. Mr. "Wife's Attorney", where are we at?" (He'll probably ask your wife's attorney since the attorney will be able to get to the point pretty quickly.) Then the attorney will probably say, "Your honor, for the record we have entered into a written settlement agreement resolving all of the issues that were outstanding." There is a chance the attorney will also offer the judge a brief summary of what is in the settlement agreement. He will probably hand the judge a copy of it, or the judge will tell him to electronically file it, if electronic filing is used in your area. Then, the judge will ask both you and your wife if that is correct --- if it is correct that you have signed the settlement agreement and you agree to all of the terms. You will say yes, your wife will say yes, and the judge will accept the settlement agreement. If the other attorney prepared the final orders for the judge to sign, they may be signed there on the spot, or if they are not there at that very moment, the judge will probably ask for them to be submitted, which the other attorney will do, and then the judge will sign them. If they are not signed on the spot, and if you have not seen a copy of the final orders, the other attorney will need to send you copies and let you see the final orders before they are filed with the court, to ensure that they are consistent with the settlement agreement that you signed. If they are consistent, then you approve them as to form. If you do nothing, then it is assumed that you approve them and after a certain period of time elapses, then they will be signed by the court. If you do not approve the proposed orders, then you should file an objection with the court very soon outlining the reasons that the proposed orders are not consistent with what you agreed to.I hope that I have been helpful. Please let me know that I have been and I would really be glad to receive a positive rating. Best,Heather S, Attorney