RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

I am in New Hampshire, my fiancé is in new York, we need to

Customer Question

I am in New Hampshire, my fiancé is in new York, we need to make an anti nup . I will move to new York soon, but do I need to travel to new York to sign the agreement? Do we each need a separate lawyer or can we use the same one?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for using Just Answer. I look forward to assisting you this evening. Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! I wish you both many happy years. You do not need to travel to New York to sign the agreement. Typically, these types of agreements will have language (or language can be added) that the agreement is still binding and valid if executed by the parties in different locations. There is no requirement that both parties have separate lawyers in order to create a valid premarital agreement. However, it is a good idea for both parties to have independent legal advice, especially if there is a significant disparity in assets or income. Independent counsel for the economically weaker party can negotiate for better terms than may have been proposed originally and can make sure s/he understands how the agreement will affect his or her rights. And, even if you are economically balanced and agree on everything, it is still a good idea for both of you to have separate lawyers. Each party should receive independent advice about the rights s/he would have without an agreement and how the agreement might affect him or her later. Each should get advice about any additional terms that s/he should consider. It would almost impossible, if not impossible, for a lawyer to represent both of you and try to give you equal advice about what is most beneficial to you. If you need clarification or additional information, please reply, and I'll be happy to assist further. Thank you.
Your complete satisfaction is my goal. If you need additional information or clarification about my answer, please reply, and I'm happy to assist further. Otherwise, kindly remember to leave a positive rating by clicking on the stars/happy faces (3-5 stars/happy faces) as that is the only way experts such as myself are compensated on this site for our time and expertise, even if you have left a deposit. It doesn't cost you anything extra to leave a rating. Thank you.