Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
Experience:  10 years practicing IP law and general litigation

The biological father terminated his rights to the child that

Customer Question

The biological father terminated his rights to the child that I adopted at birth. I have raised the child and have been the only father that she knows. The mother and I were married and went through a divorce. The mother has now married the biological father that terminated his rights. I still am involved in my daughter's life, pay child support and do not want her around the man that terminated his rights and did not pay or raise her for the past ten years. Does he have rights to my daughter?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 6 months ago.
He only has rights to the extent that he is married to her legal mother. You are her father in the eyes of the law and you have the rights that come therefrom...rights he does not have. That said, unless there are issues relative to the wellbeing of your daughter, he does have the right to be around her by way of his marriage to your ex. If you have concerns for the safety of your daughter relative to this man, then you need to petition the court that handled your divorce for sole custody of your daughter to get her out of the environment that is a danger and does not represent her wellbeing based on his presence So, he does not have "rights" per se relative to your daughter. He has the ability to co-habit by way of his marriage. However, if that is a danger, then you can have the divorce court that handled the custody issue a ruling that would grant you sole custody. Let me know if you have any other questions or comments. Please rate my answer positively as well (three or more stars). Best wishes going forward!
Just checking to see if you received my response and had any more questions.
Checking one last time. This is an important issue and I want you to be good with things moving forward. Thanks