Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I am going thru a divorce and my wife is abusing me physically.

Customer Question

Hi, I am going thru a divorce and my wife is abusing me physically. I want to leave but she keep threating me about abandonment. I live in GA and I do not want to call the police.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. I am sorry to hear about this situation. This would not be criminal abandonment because this is not abandoning a child a or an adult with whose care you have been charged. This would not be counted as abandonment in divorce because GA does not even recognize abandonment as a divorce ground, and, the couple is not expected to stay together once divorce has began (or if they are informally separated). In short, she is exaggerating to bully you, but in reality, there is no criminal or civil sanction in leaving a party you are divorcing. I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.