Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

In a custody battle, how do grandparents secure visitation

Customer Question

In a custody battle, how do grandparents secure visitation rights?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  AttyHeather replied 6 months ago.
Hi, My name is*****'m a family law attorney with 15 years vigorous courtroom practice experience, and I would like to assist you in answering your question. My response is for information and education, and not as legal advice and we do not form an attorney/client relationship. Before I discuss your issue, could you please advise me what state you live in (because grandparent visitation laws vary from state to state)?
Also, for clarification, and to better assist you, when you say "custody battle," what are you referring to? Is it a custody battle in the context of a divorce between husband and wife (and the grandparents want to intervene and ask for custody of the children rather than it being awarded to either parent) or is it a situation in which a parent (such as the biological father) has passed away and the biological father's parents (the grandparents) want to sue the biological mother for visitation? Clarification on this issue would greatly assist me in giving you the relevant information that you need.