Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.

In my divorce decree it states "petitioner is awarded 25% of

Customer Question

In my divorce decree it states "petitioner is awarded 25% of respondent's military pension. Respondent is awarded the remaining 75% of military pension". When the pension payments increase do I have to increase the amount that is paid to the petitioner?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 6 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

If that is the entirety of the language of the decree, then yes, you would. That's saying that the Petitioner gets 25% of the total pension. It would have to say something like "Petition is awarded 25% of the respondent's military pension as of the date of the divorce decree" for you to keep the full increase. But based on what you've posted, you have to give 25% of each of your payments.

It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Thank you.